You can help save a cat!
Are you a cat lover who has a barn, stable, warehouse, or other secure outdoor structure?
Sometimes we have cats who cannot live as house pets. This program is designed to find homes for cats that have traditionally been deemed un-adoptable through our typical adoption process. Without this program, these cats would have to be euthanized as they would not be successful living in a typical home environment. Cats in our Barn Cat Program have temperaments that range from feral to friendly and usually fall into one of three categories:
- Cats whose litterbox habits make them unsuitable to live in a traditional home
- Cats and kittens who are feral or semi-feral, and who are too old to socialize
- Cats who need the stimulation of an outdoor environment
We refer to these cats as “barn cats” because that is the most common housing option. However, there are many types of buildings that could provide a safe, happy home for one of these special cats. Perhaps you own a warehouse, a workshop, or a garage – as long as the cat(s) will be cared for and has appropriate shelter, we are willing to consider creative locations!
Please note that we do not adopt cats who are suitable to be household companions to barns, only those cats without other options.
What you need:
When you adopt a barn cat, you agree to give them:
- Shelter in a barn, outbuilding, stable, or other suitable shelter
- Daily food and water - cats cannot live on mousing alone!
- Veterinary care, as needed
- A secure place to keep them for the first 2-4 weeks while they acclimate to your space. This should be a secure indoor enclosure from which they cannot escape. We can lend you an introduction cage if no secure area is available.
WHAT we provide:
All barn cats available for adoption are spayed or neutered, vaccinated, have received initial deworming and flea/tick preventative, and are microchipped and ear tipped (for permanent identification purposes). When you adopt a barn cat, we will go over with you how to acclimate your new cat to their new surroundings and make them feel at home.
While there is no set adoption fee for barn cats, we kindly request a donation to help offset the cost of their medical care.
If you have any questions about the program, feel free to email us. Due to the nature of the program, we may not have suitable cats available immediately, but will try to fill your request as soon as possible. We maintain a waiting list as the number of cats available for the Barn Cat Program will fluctuate.
Barn Cats Available for Adoption
Click on the photo for more info. No Results means we do not have any available barn cats at this time.
~1 year old
~5 months old
~3 years old
~3 years old
ARE YOU CARING FOR FERAL OR FREE-ROAMING OUTDOOR CATS?
If you live in Chittenden or Grand Isle County and are caring for feral or free-roaming outdoor cats, click here for information on our free Trap/Neuter/Return program.