CURRENT ADOPTION PROCESS - PLEASE READ!
1. Look through the dogs on our website and find a dog you’re interested in. Please note: if a dog's name says "Adoption Pending", that means they have a pending adoption and are not currently available to meet.
2. Fill out HSCC's Dog Adopter Profile (may also be done during your visit, but submitting it online saves time!) We do not respond to profiles individually, so please come in at any point after you have submitted it! Submitting an adopter profile does not place an animal on hold for you.
3. Meet with an Adoption Counselor to discuss your profile and the dog you are interested in to find a potential match.
4. Meet the dog! Take them for a walk or spend some time in our play yard.
5. Still interested? An Adoption Counselor will discuss the dog’s medical history and go over general dog care and training tips.
6. Make it official! All HSCC dogs are now available for Foster-To-Adopt* which allows you to take the dog home for 1 week before adopting. Ready to adopt? You can pay the adoption fee, sign the contract, and take your new dog home or place a hold and come back within 24 hours to finish the process. Please note that all dogs must leave with a leash and collar (available for sale at HSCC).
*Foster-To-Adopt is available for Vermont residents only. Residents of other states are welcome to adopt.
Not able to adopt? JUST LOOKING AND FELL IN LOVE?
The Heart to Heart program allows you to symbolically sponsor an animal at HSCC while they wait for their new family. This is a great option for those who have room in their hearts, if not in their homes, to support HSCC and the 1,300+ animals we care for each year. If the animal you sponsor is adopted during your week of support, your donation will carry over to their furry friends still in our care. Click here to sponsor an animal today!