We know that the decision to relinquish a pet is a difficult one. We are here to help.
***If you have a pregnant mother, or a mother who has a litter of babies that are under a year old, and you are interested in getting mom spayed and returned to you at no cost, please follow this link and scroll down to the section on our Spay the Mom program***
important information about bringing an animal to hscc:
*Please read all Information below before filling out an intake form*
- If the animal is seriously injured or ill, is in an unsafe situation, or otherwise needs urgent attention or if you have found kittens outside, please call 802-862-0135.
- HSCC accepts animals by appointment, from Chittenden and Grand Isle counties. We do not euthanize animals for space and we do not set time limits on their stay with us; this means we have to schedule new animals coming in to our facility carefully to ensure there’s enough space. We do our best to accommodate emergency situations and we're happy to offer support and supplies until the next available appointment.
- You must be the legal owner of the animal you are bringing in, have signed permission from the owner, or attest that the animal was found as a stray. You must bring your photo ID to the appointment.
- Please be on time for your appointment and bring the animal's medical records. If you can, please bring the animal up to date on vaccinations - this will help protect him or her while at the shelter.
- HSCC does not accept stray dogs from the public. If you have found a stray dog, please contact the Animal Control officer or police department for the town in which the animal was found.
- We kindly request a donation. With each animal we take in, HSCC incurs significant expenses. We receive no city, state or federal funding and rely solely on donations in order to provide care for the roughly 1,300 animals that come to our shelter each year. We kindly request a minimum donation of $100 for each animal brought to us. We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. No animal is ever turned away because of an inability to make a donation.
- If you make other arrangements, please be courteous and call us to cancel your appointment. We’ll likely fill that opening with another animal in need!
To request an appointment to bring an animal to HSCC, please click on the applicable link below:
The more information we have about an animal before they arrive, the better we can meet their needs once here, so please provide as much objective information as you can in the form.
QUESTIONS ABOUT Bringing us a pet?
Tuesday - Friday: 1PM - 5PM
Saturday: 10AM - 4PM
Sunday & Monday: Closed