HSCC: A place where best friends work.
At HSCC we're proud of our dynamic work environment and our dedicated and hard-working staff who bring great passion for animal welfare and compassion for the human companions to their daily work. Our population of animal residents changes almost every day; we're constantly seeing animals off as they head on to new homes and welcoming visitors who come our way for a variety of reasons. With an average of about 100 animals in our building on any given day, there's never a shortage of work to be done! Our workplace culture and philosophy are all about the team. You won't find any lone rangers or solo flyers here - we get our work done together, support one another, and fill the gaps when the gaps need filling. And we're here because we care - about animals, about our customers, about our communities, and about each other. We work together, share lunch together on most days, and, when time permits, play together too.
Our staffing needs change from time to time so, even if there are no positions open at the moment, please check back often.
Customer Care Staff (Part-Time, Non-Exempt)
HSCC’s Customer Care staff are responsible for providing an excellent customer experience. Daily responsibilities consist of greeting and assisting all visitors to the shelter, guiding the public through the relinquishment process, educating the community about HSCC programs and services, and working with prospective adopters through the matchmaking process (including communicating information about animal and medical care and behavior, completing required forms, and entering data into HSCC’s animal database). The Customer Care Staff member will work directly with and report to the Customer Care Manager and assist with tasks as requested. We are looking for someone with compassion for animals and people, and a commitment to the mission, values, and goals of HSCC. This position requires mature customer service skills and attention to detail.
Essential CUSTOMER CARE Functions
- Providing quality customer service while actively promoting HSCC’s mission, and providing a non-judgmental, positive atmosphere for visitors and callers
- Greeting all shelter visitors in a friendly, courteous, and helpful manner, ensuring proper sign-in and providing interested parties with the pertinent information related to their visit
- Working with potential adopters to find a pet that is right for them, introducing animals to visitors safely and effectively communicating what we know about the animal’s medical and behavioral history and needs
- Returning and answering phone calls and emails related to shelter programs and services
- Scheduling, confirming and conducting adoption and intake appointments in a comprehensive, educational and supportive manner
- Educating visitors and callers about animal care issues
- Accurately completing database entries, animal and person records, adoption paperwork, and related forms
- Accurately processing and documenting donations, fees, and sales
- Safely and comfortably handling a variety of domestic companion animals
- Ensuring facility cleanliness and appearance for visitors
- Accepting, sorting, organizing, and displaying merchandise for retail sales
- Assist with adoption promotions, special events and marketing materials
- Greeting, assisting, and training volunteers as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Polite, professional and helpful personality essential
- Adept and flexible multi-tasking abilities as well as excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable receiving direction and guidance
- Mature, friendly, and outgoing personality and a commitment to superior customer care
- Ability to work well under pressure and in intense and emotional situations on a daily basis
- Excellent written, computer, and verbal communication skills
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with all facets of position
- Willingness and ability to do moderate to heavy physical labor in relation to cleaning our facility and handling animals, including bending/twisting and lifting a minimum of 50 pounds throughout the day
- Weekend and holiday work is required
- Willingness to: work as a team member, pitch in as needed, and have fun!
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma (required), Associate’s Degree (preferred)
- 1-2 years customer service experience
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Brent Householder, Director of Finance & Administration, at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
The Humane Society of Chittenden County is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We believe that marginalized groups - including people of color, women, and LGBTQ+ - must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.