HSCC: A place where best friends work.
At HSCC we're proud of our dynamic work environment and our dedicated and hard-working staff who bring great passion for animal welfare and compassion for the human companions to their daily work. Our population of animal residents changes almost every day; we're constantly seeing animals off as they head on to new homes and welcoming visitors who come our way for a variety of reasons. With an average of about 100 animals in our building on any given day, there's never a shortage of work to be done! Our workplace culture and philosophy are all about the team. You won't find any lone rangers or solo flyers here - we get our work done together, support one another, and fill the gaps when the gaps need filling. And we're here because we care - about animals, about our customers, about our communities, and about each other. We work together, share lunch together on most days, and, when time permits, play together too.
Our staffing needs change from time to time so, even if there are no positions open at the moment, please check back often.
Animal & Customer Care (Full Time, Non-Exempt)
HSCC’s Animal & Customer Care staff (ACC) are responsible for two distinct but related sets of tasks: the daily care and cleaning of animals and their enclosures and providing an excellent customer experience. On average, there are 100 animals to care for each day, each having arrived under different, and often stressful, circumstances. HSCC strives to provide a healthy, comfortable space, which will allow cats, dogs and small animals to adjust to their new environment. Staff are expected to perform daily duties in accordance with set protocols to keep themselves, the animals, fellow staff members, visitors, and volunteers safe. We are looking for someone with compassion for animals and people, and a commitment to the mission, values, and goals of HSCC. This position requires mature customer service skills and attention to detail.
Essential ANIMAL CARE Functions
- Safely and comfortably handling a variety of domestic animals
- Cleaning and disinfecting animal rooms, cages, supplies (working with disinfectant, bleach, and other cleaners)
- Feeding and administering medications to animals
- Sorting and folding laundry, as well as operating commercial washers and dryers
- Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming throughout facility
- Spending time with animals to provide comfort and help ease stress; provide behavioral feedback to the management team
- Learning and taking direction from contracted dog trainer, implement learned skills in the daily care and management of dogs
- Cleaning and maintaining dog play yards outside
- Performing animal intakes, entering records into PetPoint database and providing support to members of the public who are relinquishing animals
- Other responsibilities as directed
Essential CUSTOMER CARE Functions
- Greeting all shelter visitors in a friendly, courteous, and helpful manner, ensuring proper sign-in and providing interested parties with the pertinent information related to their visit
- Working with potential adopters to find a pet that is right for them, introducing animals to visitors safely and effectively communicating what we know about the animal’s medical and behavioral history and needs
- Ensuring facility cleanliness and appearance for visitors
- Returning and answering phone calls and emails related to shelter programs and services
- Scheduling and confirming intake appointments; conducting adoption appointments in a comprehensive, educational and supportive manner
- Educating visitors and callers about animal care issues
- Accurately processing and documenting donations, fees, and sales
- Assist and direct volunteers, as needed
- Maintain supply of adoption-related materials and other public resources
- Assist with adoption promotions, special events and marketing materials
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Polite, professional and helpful personality is essential
- Adept and flexible multi-tasking abilities as well as excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable receiving direction and guidance
- Mature, friendly, and outgoing personality and a commitment to superior animal care
- Ability to work well under pressure and in intense and emotional situations on a daily basis
- Excellent written, computer, and verbal communication skills
- Interest in animals and commitment to animal welfare
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with all facets of position
- Willingness and ability to do moderate to heavy physical labor in relation to cleaning our facility and handling animals
- Ability to bend, twist, and lift at least 50 lbs. repeatedly throughout the course of a day
- Weekend and holiday work is required
- Willingness to work as a team member, pitch in as needed, and have fun!
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma (required), Associate’s Degree (preferred)
- 1-2 years customer service experience
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and references to Brent Householder (BrentH@hsccvt.org). Thank you for your interest!