HSCC: A place where best friends work.
At HSCC we're proud of our dynamic work environment and our dedicated and hard-working staff who bring great passion for animal welfare and compassion for the human companions to their daily work. Our population of animal residents changes almost every day; we're constantly seeing animals off as they head on to new homes and welcoming visitors who come our way for a variety of reasons. With an average of about 100 animals in our building on any given day, there's never a shortage of work to be done! Our workplace culture and philosophy are all about the team. You won't find any lone rangers or solo flyers here - we get our work done together, support one another, and fill the gaps when the gaps need filling. And we're here because we care - about animals, about our customers, about our communities, and about each other. We work together, share lunch together on most days, and, when time permits, play together too.
Our staffing needs change from time to time so, even if there are no positions open at the moment, please check back often.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (UNPAID INTERNSHIP)
The Medical Assistant will serve as support to the Medical Care Manager in meeting the health care needs of HSCC’s animals (cats, dogs and small animals), and will learn skills essential for pursuing a career in animal care or veterinary medicine. The internship will involve daily animal care and cleaning, animal handling and restraint, administering vaccines and treatments, helping to draw blood, giving medication, providing transportation to and from local veterinary hospitals, data entry, and communicating effectively with the staff on individual animals’ health care issues and concerns. Proper training and protective equipment will be supplied. Interns will be required to handle potential fractious animals for examination and procedures, handle cleaning chemicals such as bleach on a regular basis, and lift up to 50 lbs. Special projects required for college credit can be accommodated.
- Assist with restraint and examination of animals upon intake to evaluate overall health status
- Perform safe, humane handling of all animals making every effort to minimize stress
- Administer vaccines and oral medications daily
- Assist with medical procedures/tests such as blood draws, urine collection, fecal testing, etc.
- Accurately maintain and organize animal medical files and assist with computer data entry
- Perform routine tasks such as feeding and cleaning/disinfecting animal cages and supplies
- Assist with med room inventory and filling medications
- Assist with scheduling and transportation for spay/neuter, veterinary, and grooming appointments
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Desire to learn about companion animal health, veterinary medicine, and proper animal handling skills
- Interest in animal sheltering and animal welfare
- Experience in a veterinary hospital or animal welfare organization, and/or coursework in a related field of study
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to take direction, follow protocols, and communicate (written & verbal) effectively
- Upbeat, friendly, and outgoing personality with a commitment to superior animal care
- Ability to work well under pressure and in intense and emotional situations on a daily basis
- Willingness to: work as a team member, pitch in as needed, and have fun
- Ability to commit to 10 hours/week minimum, and be on-time and reliable