RDF_Logo_2_2021.pngThe Humane Society of Chittenden County’s main goal is to keep pets with the people who love them and the cost of medical care remains a top reason why pets are relinquished. To help members of our community avoid having to part ways with their beloved companions, HSCC's Rainy Day Fund offers financial assistance for Chittenden and Grand Isle County residents who are unable to pay for their pet's unanticipated emergency medical treatment. This service is completely donor-funded and truly makes a difference in the lives of people & their pets.

The HSCC Rainy Day Fund includes:

Emergency Grant for Surgical Procedures (not to exceed $1,500 per family per year, based on first time receiving service, contingent on program funding and request for assistance)

To qualify for the HSCC Rainy Day Fund, one must:

  • Be a client of HSCC’s Community Pet Clinic. In order to apply, you will first need to make an appointment with the clinic (“sick pet visit,” $40-$70), and we will evaluate your pet to determine if their condition is eligible for the Rainy Day Fund.
  • Provide proof of Chittenden or Grand Isle County residency.
  • Provide proof of limited or fixed income (SSI / Disability / pay stub).
  • Agree to work with HSCC to have family pet receiving assistance to be spayed or neutered.
  • Agree to inform HSCC if financial status changes such that assistance is no longer needed.
  • The Rainy Day Fund is intended for future veterinary care/procedures. As such, we are unable to reimburse for veterinary procedures that have already been completed.
  • Agree to have surgery done at HSCC or with one of HSCC’s established veterinary partners, if your pet requires surgery that we are unable to do ourselves.

To apply for Rainy Day Fund assistance, please click here to make an appointment with our Community Pet Clinic (select “sick pet visit”).

Once your pet has been examined, our veterinarian will determine if your pet’s condition qualifies for the Rainy Day Fund. If it does, we will continue your application process with a staff member.

For more information or assistance with the application process, please call the HSCC scheduling line at (802) 923-9028.

If you would like to support the Rainy Day Fund with a donation, please click here.