The Humane Society of Chittenden County’s main goal is to keep pets with the people who love them and the cost of medical care remains a top reason why pets are relinquished. To help members of our community avoid having to part ways with their beloved companions, HSCC's Rainy Day Fund offers financial assistance for Chittenden and Grand Isle County residents who are unable to pay for their pet's unanticipated emergency medical treatment. This service is completely donor-funded and truly makes a difference in the lives of people & their pets.
The HSCC Rainy Day Fund includes:
Emergency Grant for Surgical Procedures (not to exceed $1,500 per family per year, based on first time receiving service, contingent on program funding and request for assistance)
To qualify for the HSCC Rainy Day Fund, one must:
- Provide proof of Chittenden or Grand Isle County residency
- Provide proof of limited or fixed income (SSI / Disability / pay stub)
- Agree to work with HSCC to have family pet receiving assistance to be spayed or neutered.
- Agree to inform HSCC if financial status changes such that assistance is no longer needed.
- We are unable to provide repayment for veterinary expenses already incurred by applicant.
- The Rainy Day Fund is intended for future veterinary care/procedures. As such, we are unable to reimburse for veterinary procedures that have already been completed.
To apply for Rainy Day Fund assistance, please complete and submit the form below. You will also need to supply us with:
- A signed application
- Proof of Chittenden County or Grand Isle County residency (copy of driver’s license, passport, item of mail, etc.)
- Proof of low income (Social Security / Disability benefits form / pay stub)
- Current estimate from your vet detailing medical needs and total estimate of cost for care/procedureTop of Form
- Previous veterinary records for pet in need of care/procedure (if applicable)
All documents may be submitted by emailing email@example.com, faxing us at (802) 860-5868, or mailing to HSCC at 142 Kindness Court, South Burlington, VT 05403.
Alternatively, you may download the Rainy Day Fund application (Microsoft Word or PDF ). Fill in all necessary information, save the file, and either send as an email attachment or print to fax/mail a hard copy.
For more information or assitance with the application process, please call HSCC at (802) 862-0135 x19.
If you would like to support the Rainy Day Fund with a donation, please click here.